Monday, October 6, 2008

Q & A with David Metzenthen

As part of our Stop.Write.Now series we asked our authors a few questions - here's what David Metzenthen had to say.

1. What are you writing at the moment?


I’m working on three projects: Jarvis 24, a novel for teenagers set in Camberwell, 2008, about two boys and a very fast-running girl. Hide That Horse, a little story for little readers about a little horse who comes to town because of the drought… and The Really Wet and Wild Canoe Ride, for primary school-aged readers… oh, and I’m doing preliminary research for an adult novel set in Port Melbourne.


2. Can you give us an idea of your typical writing day?


My average writing day is to walk the dog, get the kids to school, start at nine fifteen, work until three or four or five depending - then abandon the mission.


3. What do you do when you're not writing?


3 When I’m not writing I’m a struggling parent like everyone else. I do like trying to keep fit and I really like fly-fishing. I read and try to do some kind of low-key travel. Also I’m trying to improve my surfing, master basic French, and I love Melbourne and footy.


4. What are you reading write now?


. I’m currently reading Paul Theroux’s new travel book, Ghost Train To The Eastern Star. It’s interesting and funny. I highly recommend it, as I like train travel, and checking out other places and people.


5. What inspired you to start writing?


. I was inspired to write by my imaginings of what the world might offer. I wanted to be a cowboy, so you can see where I’m coming from. I find people and the world interesting, and so instead of living adventures, to an extent, I decided that writing about the world might do as a job. I admire anyone who tries to do anything as well as they can; writing offers a chance to work hard at something that I value.


6. What are your writing plans for the future?


My plans for my writing future are to try and always write at the highest level I’m capable of.


7. With regards to your writing career to date, would you do anything differently?


I wouldn’t change my writing career to date. I feel I’ve been extremely fortunate, and lucky, and have enjoyed the help of many people to publish my novels and stories. I’ve really liked the journey. I’ve been able to select projects that interest me, and to see them come to fruition has been kind of miraculous!


Thanks David.


Hear David speak at Ashburton Library on Monday 13 October @ 7.30 pm. Book here or phone 9278 4666.